Friday, September 28, 2012

Ideas

Craig turned me onto this series a while back by F. Paul Wilson called Repairman Jack. I just finished up the series which I loved and will go into more detail on in a later post. We talked about it a couple days ago.

Me: He wrote himself into the books. Stephen King did that too in the Dark Tower books.
Craig: Yeah, it's weird.
Me: I always wonder, I know it's not real, it's fiction. But I always wonder maybe on some secret level some part is true. Or these authors that are writing these type of books, they're aware of this bigger struggle going on. Subconsciously or something. Good and evil. They write themselves in, because maybe they doubt that they just made it up. You know?
Craig: I want to know where the stories come from. That's what always gets me. (pause) Where do stories come from?

Do stories exist somewhere in the ether and authors or people just get a hold of them? Find them, temper them out, put them down on paper? Some stories I think that's true. Some stories have been repeated in different ways for hundreds of years. Is it something we as humans all have in common? Something we're all tapped into, have a desire to hear, have some sixth sense about?

Sometimes when I improvise or write I feel like I'm doing archetypal scenes or maybe creating something that's already happened. I'm writing a scene that someone has lived that I don't know on some other country or in some other time. Some people say there are no new stories only different ways to tell the same story. Where does inspiration come from? What is it? Do we genuinely create or do we tap into some instinctual limitless group conscious? Sometimes when I'm reading, watching a play or movie, or looking at art I get the strangest sense of familiarity. Of déjà vu.

I found this clip and I think it has the beginning of an answer.
 
I love the idea of the world being a river full of darting idea-fish.

Just yearning to be caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment