Saturday, September 1, 2012

Graffiti 72

This was outside the Chicago Cultural Center a couple weeks ago. They have these banners around the entire building. I'm guessing it was/is for some kind of exhibit or performance that was/is going on. I don't know if it's suppose to challenge the idea of being ordinary or if it's actually advocating being ordinary. Regardless of it's intention I find it disconcerting. I don't like it. I don't want to be ordinary and I don't want anyone else to be either. I want people to be unique and have their own passions and interests. I want people to be whoever they want to be and not think about how that fits in to some over arching societal idea of what is normal and what isn't. Sure, our similarities sometimes bring us together but our differences keep us together.

"If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary." -Jim Rohn

"The ordinary man is involved in action, the hero acts. An immense difference." -Henry Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment