Monday, September 23, 2013

Billie Jean King

For most of my life my father and I have been the only men in my family. I have Uncles and boy cousins but they are spread out across the country and I rarely see them. In Rockford where I grew up it was just my dad and I. He grew up with three sisters. I grew up with a sister and three girl cousins. I had an early education in equality. I was taught respect from a group of strong minded, independent women for which I am grateful. My dad also was, and is, a good example of how to treat people.

One of my early memories is watching an A&E special about the 1973 "Battle Of The Sexes" tennis match- Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs. I was very young and didn't understand what I was watching. My dad put the TV on mute and explained it to me.

Dad: Well Stever...Bobby Riggs was this washed up old pro who wasn't even that good in his prime, his whole thing was that women pros could never be as good as men, he challenged Billie Jean at first but she said no so he played and beat this older woman. He was a real loud mouth asshole saying women belonged in the bedroom and the kitchen stuff like that. After that game Billie Jean agreed to play him in a nationally televised match. We were all for her, it was generational, Stever this was '73- Vietnam time, the nation was...it was political, it was more than a tennis match. This was also around the time of Title IX so equality was a big thing for us. We were sick of the old foags running things and we wanted a change, Billie Jean was a symbol. Anyway. Up to the match Riggs was non-stop trash talking trying to get in Billie Jean's head, like Ali before Rumble In The Jungle, except Riggs was no Ali, didn't have the talent, didn't have the words. Billie Jean just trains, didn't let it bother her. The match comes, Billie Jean waxes Riggs. Makes the old man run the court till he can't take it. It was huge. The Lib beat the Lip.

The story and the message stuck with me. This year is the 40th anniversary of the match and BJK is the subject of a PBS Masters documentary that aired last week. You can also listen to a great interview with Billie Jean King on Fresh Air here.

No comments:

Post a Comment