Monday, December 9, 2013

The Improv Mind

The first couple years I performed I could remember every suggestion, every scene, every show. Weeks after I could recall in detail moves and characters and took great pleasure in holding on to them. At a a certain point my mind hit critical mass and I lost it all. I still remember some stuff and can be jogged into remembering more but for the most part most of it fades pretty quickly. I don't miss it, the recall, it seems fitting, my memory mirrors the transient nature of improv.

My short term recall has vastly improved. The holding capacity has transferred from the long term to the short term. In a thirty minute span I can juggle scores of character names, premises, locations, and narrative arcs. But the specifics dissipate shortly after the lights are pulled.

Being able to be present and hyper aware in a show is more vital than being able to reminisce after a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment