Saturday, December 14, 2013

It's A Wonderful Life

Nicole surprised me with tickets to It's A Wonderful Life tonight, one of her favorite movies and one I've never seen. It started off a little stressful. The Music Box was packed and there was a line out the door. When we picked up the tickets we were surprised to discover that the seats were assigned and through some box office mix up our seats were one in front of the other instead of one next to the other. The theater was a chaotic mess and I clammed up, situations like that shoot my anxiety to the moon.

The family sitting to my left had reserved the remainder of the row but one of their party wasn't coming. They graciously acquiesced when Nicole asked for the seat. We had our own little Christmas miracle. My relief was palpable. Before the film started Santa and a faction of some Chicago choir lead the room in Christmas carols. I was skeptical at first but quickly joined in. It was a nice feeling, a room full of people singing those old familiar songs.

The movie started and by then I was in my element. I liked the movie a lot. I think it has an almost perfect structure and performances which walk a tight rope of sentimentality but never fall into it. I cried at the end.

It was a wonderful night. Sharing the experience with Nicole meant a great deal and I now understand why the movie resonates with her and so many others.

I'm not one for the Christmas spirit or seasonal sentimentality. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment