Saturday, April 5, 2014

Virginia Vacation

Nicole and I got up in the dark hours of the morning to catch a plane to Richmond for a week long vacation. She slept on the plane. I did not.
Matt picked us up from the airport and after cleaning and coffeeing up we, along with Matt's lovely wife Katie, went on a walk around Belle Isle.
The James River was particularly high from all the melted snow and rain. After such a brutal and bracing Chicago winter Richmond at the beginning of spring was heavenly. A soothing balm.
The first of many pictures of blossoming trees.
Dogwood. An under appreciated plant.
After our walk we all took a much needed and well deserved nap before heading over to the Coalition Theater for some shows.
It's always so wonderful to play with Matt and as an added bonus some of my relatives surprised me with coming to the show. The first set was just Matt and I at 8. I felt a bit off, I was censoring myself and at points arguing with Matt in an effort to drive the comedy, but even so it was fun and we had some fun bits. The second show I joined Matt and Pijor. That show really felt great. We came out of the gates hot and went like a rocket. We were all out of breath at points and satisfyingly sweaty at the end. Come to find out in Virginia they call the state high school sports competition "States". At one point we were doing a football locker room scene and they were chanting "States!" and I was chanting "State!" I just thought there was some rhythmic problem until Katie pointed it out after.

It's wonderful to be out of the city. I haven't been out of Chicago for more the four days in four years. Everything moves a bit slower here. And it's warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment