Sunday, May 25, 2014

Church Of Cinema

Growing up Lutheran
I never felt the touch of God
in the slate gray narthex
or in the basement Sunday school
or during the preachers monotone pronouncements.

Never felt the need to worship
at a cross or stained glass window
over donuts and stale coffee.
Never felt a thing
with a dissolving wafer on my tongue
or a shot of cheap wine warming my belly.

From my first double feature
Jurassic Park morning and afternoon
my moments of grace came from
dark rooms with raked seats
from vibrant stories
offering escape
with secret friends quietly entranced
by lands I had never known.

My offering is $10.50
my alter a blank screen
whether peace or hope or excitement
a blessing I receive.

I worship in a darkened room
in a crowd of strangers
previews, popcorn, and some solace
I see it as my savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment