Thursday, May 29, 2014

'X-Men: Days Of Future Past' A Discussion

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is the most recent Marvel Superhero movie combining the actors from X-Men: First Class and the original X-Men trilogy who play the same characters with a time travel plot device. In lieu of a normal review here is a conversation about the movie with my good friend Vince Portacci.

Me: Overall what did you think of the movie?
Vince:  I thought it was just fine.  I thought X-Men: First Class showed how good an X-Men movie could be and this was an attempt to capitalize on that.  Bryan Singer probably felt like he had some cleaning up to do after the third installment.  I also think this was a strategic move by Marvel to reset everything and hopefully give them a chance to refresh the cast and kinda restart under the overall Marvel umbrella.  Like, Wolverine is an Avenger for a time, this hopefully allows a tie in for that at some point.
Me:  Yeah, I think I liked it OK. Liked the meshing of the freshness of First Class with the older characters who we know and like. The future element and the past element I thought were visually very cool and the future actions scenes at the beginning were cool. I think I was missing some heart. Like, it didn't really recapture the magic of the characters of the first two or first class.
Vince:  I did like seeing the new and old versions of the characters in the same movie.  I had a hard time with how everything required so much exposition and as a result were unable to go deep with anyone character except for maybe Professor X.
Me:  Good point. The conceit is very cool but I don't think they needed to explain it so much. Presumably comic book fans get it. I thought it was nice to get a bit more of Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique but I don't know if she was actually developed as a character she just had more screen time.
Vince:  I agree. The movie hinges on her character turning so drastically to the point that Magneto and Professor X view her as an ultimate threat.  Yet, we see no clear example of this in her behavior or character. Quicksilver was a big highlight for me.  Showing super speed in various cool ways.  The only miss in my opinion was not using him at the end.  It culminates in DC and even shows him watching this unfold on the TV.  I wanted to see him get in on the action.
Me:  For sure, my favorite sequence was the pentagon jail break, probably my favorite scene the stand off where time slows down and he adjusts all the guards and their bullets and stuff. Visually cool and indirectly implies how powerful a mutant he is. As far as freshness and obviously enjoying it Quicksilver was my favorite performance. He added a much needed playfulness.
Vince:  I applaud them for not using a CGI beast.  But man, that makeup job was insane.  He looked awful.
Me:  Oh yeah. Just the worst. Looked worse than Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf. All patchy and stuff.
Vince:  I liked how they used the future mutants like Bishop and Blink just as an attack and defense unit.  When I saw the cast list I was like, whoa, there are WAY too many mutants in this thing.
Me:  Yeah plot wise I thought it was exposition heavy but I thought it was well done to incorporate the future and past mutants with not one by one explaining all their powers. I also really liked the Vietnam sequence. Do you think this one had an overt message either politically or socially?
Vince:  I think the overall message was sort of like, "Hey, before you do something drastic, think it through".  I think the X-Men is really an examination of race relations and there are strong ties between this and the idea of a final solution.  Maybe also, violence only begets more violence is the strong take away.
Me:  For sure that is X-men overarching message, I feel like this one, it was there certainly, it just felt a little watered down or muddled.
Vince:  It just didn't feel fresh.
Me:  Better put, yes.
Vince:  And I think that is the challenge with these super hero movies. I think we want to see OLD concepts presented in fresh new ways each time out.  We want  to see these characters tested and put through the ringer and see that they can triumph when there core beliefs are challenged in different ways and maybe when they go through a change.
Me:  I have been thinking recently we may be reaching a saturation point with the comic book movie machine. That there's just too much of it out there to even be able to make it fresh.
You tangentially mentioned the ending initially, how did you like it?
Vince:  I thought it was just fine.  There is a layer of cheese to the movie.  It felt very safe and happy.  I would have loved to see the cost to a particular character's mental state as a result of everything he remembers up until a certain point now being un-true.  God, that idea is fascinating to me. If you change the course of history and you have all these deep emotions and memories that are tied to things that never happened, man, that would be the most lonely and terrifying thing ever. Even though you saved the world, that is still something you have to deal with.
Me:  Yeah, Wolverine seems totally unfazed or at least there isn't time spent on him reacting to anything cause that is the end of the movie. It didn't exactly bother me. But I just felt like it was too cheesy, too sweet, like come on. OK fine, go back 15 years and reset the whole franchise.
Any final thoughts? Is it worth a watch?
Vince:  If you have a hankering for a summertime movie blockbuster, go see it.  Its worth seeing on a big screen.  Its fun but its not the X-Men movie we all want.

I guess we will still have to wait on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment