Friday, August 22, 2014

Anniversary

Last Sunday Nicole and I celebrated our year anniversary. We've had a couple adventures, seen a lot of movies, jumped some hurdles, and gone through a certain amount of sometimes enjoyable/sometimes contentious growth.

Over the past year I've made her a lot of breakfasts and she's made me a lot of dinners, each with varying degrees of success. There were many cups of coffee drank and many cigarettes smoked. From time to time anxieties, irritants, and tempers flared but those instances were eclipsed by a steady stream of comfort, companionship, and surprise.

For a time I mistook desire and infatuation for love. With Nicole I'm finding out what love is and can be. What a fun, healthy, fulfilling relationship looks like. How to communicate, how to apologize, how to show affection and support in ways both direct and oblique. This past year I've grown a lot, we both have. Individually and as partners.

In love as in most things there is a balance to be struck. Passion and contentment. Security and mystery. It's a complicated path, challenging and rewarding, that stretches ever onward. I couldn't ask for a more lovely, understanding, and harmonic confidant. And look to the future with eagerness and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment