Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wedding Day

The day of the wedding dawned and I went to go sit with Marta as she got her hair done. Very interesting and fun to see what goes on with brides in high-end salons. I got a peak behind the curtain no man is meant to see.
Later, the groomsmen got ready at the venue and took some pictures, the photographers were really cool, shockingly personable and pliant with the ever-shifting wedding schedule. Above, the readied reception room.
Marta's bouquet.
Nicole and my cousin Chloe with my Aunt Julie and Uncle Mike in the back. Ceremony imminent.
My grandma and I talked poetry before I walked her down the isle to kick things off.
The ceremony was gorgeous. It sprinkled for about thirty seconds and then the skies were clear and the sun shown. I didn't expect to get emotional but of course I did. A family friend Randy officiated and at the beginning said the names of the relatives who have passed. Our grandfather Irv Nelson and our Uncles Mark Brannon and John Pritz. Their spirits were with us today.

Both our parents walked my sister down the isle and it was all I could do to keep it together. It was a beautiful union.
The ceremony ended with a kids parade, they had noisemakers and streamers and we all marched out to "When The Saints Go Marching In" the same song my parents recessed to.
The rest of the day is kind of a blur. The reception was wonderful, best wedding food I've ever had, everyone mingled and it was wild to see all the different people connected by my nuclear family. The speeches were great with a surpirse slam dunk from the best man Ryan. I talked to a ton, but not all, of my relatives and Nicole and I did some dancing. By 11 we were both all in but we stuck around and were the last ones to leave helping my parents clean up when they were both dead on their feet. Nicole handled the event and all the family with so much grace, I couldn't ask for a more loving and understanding partner, couldn't be more grateful to share this day with her.

Marta was beautiful, Nick was dapper, they were both exceedingly happy. A victory, a success, a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment