Monday, August 18, 2014

Todd

I watched you play video games
for years
you never offered me a turn.
If you were feeling generous
you'd play Sonic to my Tails
or relay the plot of Final Fantasy VII.

Once, while watching you play Myst
your dad burst in, angry and intent.
He spanked you until the joystick dangled from your grip,
and I sat quiet, paralyzed with fear.

While you played Twisted Mental 2
I ate a brownie
and lost a tooth.

That time my mom came to pick me up
I had been watching you play all day.
In the foyer you jabbed and snarked
oblivious, our mothers chatted.
I balled my fist and punched your gut
you doubled over in pain.
As you gasped and squirmed on the hallway floor
our mothers gaped and sputtered.

All of us were surprised
but none as shocked as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment