Saturday, May 9, 2015

Facilitating

A couple days ago Kevin and Nick asked me to direct a play they'll be putting up at iO and I said I'd be happy to. We had a first rehearsal this afternoon.

They already have a concept and a detailed outline, have been handling all the various particulars actually. My function is to be an outside eye, help shape, and see the forest despite the trees.

In improv and in performing in general I don't consider myself an incredibly dynamic or hilarious performer. I'm good but not exceptional. The function I serve in most groups and what I think I excel it is being a facilitator. It's natural for me to set people up, to guide the trajectory of a show, to simplify, to streamline, to clarify. I have an ability to make things happen and push things forward, to create situations where others can shine.

Not to imply I am some humble supporter always in the back ground because that's not the case, I certainly take my moments center stage and love getting laughs all by myself. But if I were to analyze when I find the most success and feel the most fully plugged in it is when I'm facilitating and synthesizing the creative energy and ideas of my fellows.

All this is to say rehearsal today with Kevin, Nick, Brunlieb, and George was very fun and engaging. Nick and Kevin are both very frenetic and cerebral, both constantly generating ideas, and I found my natural inclinations toward simplicity and directness balance with them rather well. This next week will be very busy with rehearsals for this but it'll be gratifying work with a guaranteed interesting product.

A Murder In Cameratown at iO Tuesdays 1030pm 5/19, 5/26, 6/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment