Sunday, May 17, 2015

Priorities

This past week I've been over scheduled. Every spare moment has had something plugged into it. Always coming from something on the way to something else. It's stressful and it takes it's toll.

Due to our upcoming office closure work has been difficult. There are some major changes happening, not all of them communicated well, and the mood of the office oscillates between apathetic to extremely frustrated. All of us are slowly and surely being worn down.

On top of all my normal and miscellaneous creative obligations I've been working on Kevin and Nick's play every day for the past week. It has been fun and gratifying work but it is too much. When I'm overextended artistically each project suffers. I find myself exhausted and unable to produce to the quality and to the extend that I'm capable. It has been a good and fresh reminder of keeping things in balance, of saying no if need be, and setting specific expectations and boundaries. It can be difficult especially when projects are interesting and I'm always very grateful to be asked to participate in things but when I find myself periodically over committed I am reminded that less is almost always more.

It comes down to a matter of priorities and unfortunately it takes an exhausting week to bring that back into focus. The two most important things in my life are my recovery and Nicole. And maybe because they are the most constant and defining they seem to be those things I push to the side when things get busy. Those are the things that rejuvenate and sustain me, that bring me energy, joy, and peace. I need to be better about carving out time, regardless of circumstance, for those things which truly matter and be wary of over extending to the detriment of the things which are vital.

No comments:

Post a Comment