Friday, September 25, 2015

My Two Sons: Closing

Tonight My Two Sons closed our twelve week run at The Annoyance, start to finish the process was four months. One of my main goals for this year was to get a show reviewed and The Reader did a write up for MTS, regardless of the quality a administrative accomplishment.

It's been really gratifying to work on a show with family and growing-up as the theme, that has a message about love and acceptance while still being a bit raunchy, R-rated, and funny. It's also been wonderful to work with Cowdery again and loop in some of my other friends who I really love collaborating with. Back in January I did a bit with Danny and Max for Holy Fuck where they played my sons and from that I got the idea for the show. They were the leads and the stars and I'm really proud of the work they did above and beyond my pride for the show overall.

I set out to do a show about parents and children which addressed "taboo" subjects like sex and substance use. It changed considerably from my relatively simple outline and became much more textured and truthful. Ultimately it was a success, we all worked hard on it, the play said something, and people came to see it(for which I am very thankful) and were effected(for the most part).

I don't know what my next project will be but I do know I want to continue creating original plays through improvisation. It's been the most satisfying work I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment