Friday, September 4, 2015

Sanctuary

As far back as I can remember movies have been a comfort, a refuge. They offered escape, inspiration, catharsis, the movie theater was a safe place I could always go for distraction or guidance. Almost all my dates with my first girlfriend were at movie theaters, the first group of friends I was apart of hung out at the movie theater. Going to the movies has been a constant my whole life, the influence of cinema on me- vast.

In order to combat low ticket sales(supposedly) theaters have started serving alcohol and expanded their menus, some even building actual bars. There's also been a trend in renovations, changing from stadium seating to large lazy-boy style recliners. I'm not a fan of all these changes especially because the intentions seem to be getting more money out of the movie going public. But no matter the packaging or accessories the experience remains the same. And regardless of the ups and downs of the economy the cinema endures.

"Theaters are always going to be around, and doing fine. With computers and technology, we're becoming more and more secluded from each other. And the movie theater is one of the last places where we can still gather and experience something together. I don't think the desire for that magic will ever go away." -Wolfgang Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment