Monday, August 1, 2011

'Terri' A Review

'Terri' Is a sweet coming of age, quirky, unexpected picture. It's about an overweight high schooler dealing with the life he has been presented with. He lives with his uncle(played by Creed from The Office') with an unnamed disease which we presume is Alzheimer's. He wears pajamas to school and is subtly ridiculed by his fellow students. The vice principal played by John C. Riley takes an interest in Terri and befriends him. Terri goes on a quiet, sweet journey through out the film. Develops friendships and a possible romance.

The film doesn't offer great epiphany's or a clear resolution, it's more a true slice of life. We identify with Terri, we like Terri, but he never 'overcomes' anything we merely see him on his progress of becoming an adult. We see him grow through his friendships and experience.
The chemistry between Terri and the John C. Riley character are reason enough to see the film. You get a sense of care, concern, but also a joy for life, a real desire to help. Two men, one old/one young, who actually see each other. When I watched the film I wished I'd had a VP like John C. Riley who could have identified with me and been my friend. There are many amazing small, quiet moments in the film which I'm tempted to describe but I won't. You should just...

See It.

No comments:

Post a Comment