Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Ringer

I've been performing with Andel, on and off, for about four years. Whenever I'm on a team that needs a sit in I always think of her first. She has a unique combination of edge and goofiness which is incredibly fun to play with. Her energy is infectious and doing a show with her is an adventure. She can be unpredictable but not in a disruptive way in a exciting-surprising way. Andel is one of my most talented, and certainly most experienced, friends. She has her own view of the world and her own style which comes out onstage as well as off. She's been a great friend to me since we met and any excuse I can find to share a stage with her I use it. Her presence seems to exponentially improve any show.

Andel sat in with The Hague tonight and we had one of our funnest shows in weeks. It started off well and took a hard right turn into gooftroupe fun about ten minutes in. For some context Andel is notorious about wearing sweatpants or workout pants or stretch pants for shows, rehearsals, basically all the time. For the show she was wearing these weird hip-flared, burgundy, MC Hammer type pants and a baggy sweater. In the first part of the show Mark and her were doing a scene and it ended with Mark saying "And what are you wearing?" A couple scenes later Mark and Andel are out together again, Mark starts to initiate a scene and Andel stops it and says "Wait. Mark, were you commenting on my outfit in that earlier scene?" Which got a big laugh. I was a little panicked but Julia came out and we transformed it into Andel's fantasy land with baggy cloths and bandannas growing on trees. We were all breaking a lot during the show and the audience seemed to really like it.

Whenever I ask Andel to sit in with a team she almost always says yes. The shows with her are always aggressive, energetic and refreshing. I know if I can get her to sit in it'll be a great experience. She's a great friend and an improv trump card. She always delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment