Thursday, October 23, 2014

Graffiti 140

In college I was almost never without my Walkman, mixtapes and headphones blocking everything out. I never felt quite comfortable at my alma mater, never a-part-of, the music and the ritual of it my bit of protection. This was in the burgeoning time of cell phones and iPods. For the most part people weren't plugged in yet.

As those things got more popular and it was more common for people to be distracted with their devices I put down my headphones and my Walkman(actually it broke and they don't make them much anymore). Initially my move was blatantly non-conformist. I didn't get an iPod because everyone else was going wild for them. But as iPods turned into iPhones and all phones into smartphones I've tried(and sometimes failed) to keep my engagement with digital gadgets while in public to a minimum.

Phones are a distraction and can take peoples focus away from the individuals they are with which can be irritating. More importantly though it conditions people not to deal with life's moments of boredom, discomfort, and unease. Gives people a nice warm social blanket in any situation. Prevents them from developing the skill and tolerance required to navigate those more disquieting moments of life.

"The cell phone has become the adult's transitional object, replacing the toddler's teddy bear for comfort and a sense of belonging." -Margaret Heffernan

"We know that people are less open in conversations if the other conversant puts a cell phone on the table. Even if it's turned off. The sign is enough to close the mind and make a prospective client or lover less likely to do what you ask. As people realize this, they'll start putting away phones or turning them off." -Douglas Rushkoff

No comments:

Post a Comment