Sunday, October 19, 2014

Apple Orchard

This past weekend I've been back in Rockford visiting my family, Adam and his boys. Nicole came down yesterday and this morning we took our long anticipated trip to the apple orchard. We've talked a lot about doing season/holiday activities but its hard to find the time. Living together is wonderful but it makes going out and doing stuff less urgent. It can be a difficult balance to strike.
Marta and Nick came with, it was a beautiful day. Sunny and crisp. The only apples we could pick were golden delicious and there weren't a lot of them on the trees. Come to find out September is more prime for apple picking. We got reprimanded by a farm boy riding around in a gator for picking in an unauthorized row. In our defense, it wasn't clearly marked.
We walked out of the orchard, through the pumpkin patch, and a little ways into the corn. It was all very satisfying. Participating in the ritual of the harvest.

Marta and I reminisced a bit, going to the orchard was something we did every fall as kids. I haven't been to one in years. I've missed it.
We went into the barn and got some apple donuts, a must, then did some shopping. Next to this sign there were a couple kids running around trying to pull antique farming equipment off the walls. Same thing I did years ago.

The past week has been a bit of whirlwind. NYC to Chicago to Rockford. The differences are striking. But sitting at that farm drinking hot cider and eating a warm donut with my sister, brother-in-law, and loving girlfriend I get the feeling I'm exactly where I'm suppose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment