Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Long Goodbye

A lot of friends have left Chicago recently. Since Tisher left back in May it's felt like the comedy scene has been in a protracted state of farewell. iO and Annoyance opening, Upstairs Gallery closing, and all the people moving it's been kind of exhausting. Now it's mostly over with some people trickling out over the next couple months, we're(seemingly) over the big push.
All the parties and the going-away shows have been great, proper celebrations and send offs but I'm looking forward to relaxing. To settling back into some semblance of routine, of doing the work without distraction. We all have our paths to follow, our separate journeys. I'm sure more people will move, will go back to school, will start families, but all in our own time. There's no clock, no timeframe, no one way to do what we all want to do, no one dream we are all working towards.
I'll miss everyone who has left in the past month. Annie, Carmen, and John especially. I loved watching them, they inspired me, they went out of their ways to include me and be my friend. I won't forget their generosity and their kindness.

I'll miss John's absurdity, Carmen's(sometimes unwitting) edge, and Annie's courage. And although they will be missed, not only by me but by many, I know they will flourish in NYC. There is comfort in that.

My dad likes to say there is no constant in life save change. It's not a scary fact, it's one to celebrate. A week, a month, a year from now anything is possible. Opportunities wax and wane and the future unfolds with both grief and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment