Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Haunting Music

I did mushrooms a couple times in college. I enjoyed it and got a lot out of the chemically induced shift in perspective. After the first time I noticed I would periodically here music(sober and otherwise). There may be no corollary but I noticed it around the same time.

From time to time I would hear faint strings, like an orchestra warming up. Sometimes it was chimes or the plunking tones of a xylophone. Never a cogent song just snippets, refrains, bridges, parts of verses, pieces of choruses. Other times it was the low thrumping hum of a synth, like the death throws of a rave.

Alone in my apartment or walking the quad solo, for no discernible reason I'd hear these echos. When I would focus on it, try to make sense of it, it would fade away.

For a while I thought it was a sign of mental instability. As if my substance use had marked me in some way. After my initial disquiet I found it comforting. Followed by some eerie score only I could hear I was never quite alone. I had a couple pet theories, chief among them that I had, through psychedelics, tuned into some ethereal frequency and could pick up the remnants of sound waves bouncing around the atmosphere.

Shortly after college the music faded and never returned. I still miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment