Saturday, November 1, 2014

Goodbye DQ

I first met Drennen doing a bit on Alex's talk show at iO El Show. The guests that week were two burlesque dancers. Drennen and I took turns interviewing them, vying for the co-host position. I think I won, I remember feeling good about that because Drennen was a rising star at that point, I was jealous of his talent and the recognition he was getting. Like many people who, over time, became my good friends I didn't like Drennen at first.

A couple months after that we got put on a team together at CIC, 1941. The team never really gelled. We probably only had a handful of good shows in the year we were together. But it was a great group of people and I got to know and befriend Drennen. After rehearsals James and I would go over to Drennen's and watch a movie James hadn't seen.  We did movie night every week for a year then once a month for the last two and a half.

DQ is a great friend: loyal, considerate, kind. He's great to talk movies or music with, great to gossip and talk comedy with. I coached him briefly on the short-lived JaJaJa but our collaborative efforts were never what defined our friendship. As a friend Drennen always made time for me, we always stayed connected even with stretches of time without talking or hanging out. He has a laid-back, casual, hip, mischievous smartass type energy I'll sorely miss.

With all the people moving over the past months I know DQ's exodus will hit me hard as the weeks go by. Hopefully his will mark the end of this parade of friends Chicago departures.

No comments:

Post a Comment