Friday, November 7, 2014

Skokie

I don't believe in heaven or hell per say but if there's a purgatory it's the basement of the Skokie Hilton. The past two days I've been manning a booth at a conference for work. Talking with customers, potential customers, and handing out pens and cooler bags. Most of it however was just sitting there in an uncomfortable hotel chair.

Both days I got up at five to get to Skokie by seven. Exhausted with nerves jacked from too much coffee I stewed. I wouldn't have minded as much if it was a constant stream of people to talk to but there were workshops going on and it was mostly down time. In a basement. In Skokie. Running on fumes.

My employer purchased a ticket for me to the awards lunch because we were receiving recognition for having a healthy workplace. I'm not one for making small talk with strangers, especially in some ambiguous social work environment. I get very stubborn and resistant when I feel obligated to socialize especially in an employment context. The people at my table were all nice but I felt put off having to use my lunch hour to essentially continue to be representation for my company. The food was good.

The view from the banquet hall was pretty impressive. You could see the Chicago skyline in all its panoramic glory. Foggy and distant.

No comments:

Post a Comment