Saturday, December 20, 2014

College Friends

Caitlin is in town from LA for the holidays, Chloe and I met her at Pick Me Up or an early dinner. Caitlin is doing great in LA, working on her sitcom and enjoying the beautiful weather. Chloe and I are pursuing our respective passions with more directness and results than we have in previous years. All three of us are happily romantically involved to varying degrees of seriousness. It's been 12 years since we met freshman year of college.

I didn't have the most idyllic or happy college experience. I learned a lot, grew a lot, tried out a lot of things but it wasn't easy and it wasn't terribly fun. I made three real friends in college(Caitlin and Chloe being two of them) and I've stayed in touch with them all. The majority of my lasting memories from that time are with Caitlin and Chloe- parties they threw, seances we performed, bands we saw, making special trips Chicago to visit them, or just hanging out at their apartment chatting or watching movies.

We're not as close as we were then, our lives more complicated, our time more precious, our passions more and more divergent. But we're still connected, we never lost touch. Through various changes in occupation, geography, interest, and romantic partners we've held on to our friendship.

Maybe it's the holidays or I'm just feeling particularly sappy. Regardless, I couldn't feel more lucky to count two of the smartest, kindest, most creative women I know as friends. I'm grateful that the bond formed by three excitable, dramatic, adventurous teens has weathered the tests of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment