Saturday, December 27, 2014

Memorization

Scene Breakdown

The first preview for Contention, the play I've been working on, is less than a week away. It's just Sarah and I in it so there's a lot of dialogue to memorize. I haven't had to commit a substantial script to memory since 2008 when I did Murder Center Stage in Rockford. Even then my role was supporting and I didn't have a ton of lines.

I use to pride my self on my recall. I could memorize scripts over night, recollect the specific details of a 30 minute improv show weeks after, could recite almost verbatim conversations with friends. At a certain point I think I reached full capacity and everything started to spill out. I couldn't hold on to details and minutia as long or as easily. Maybe it's simply a function of getting older.

That is all to say memorizing this script has been a real bear. Gratifying but work. Its been a struggle and I'm not totally comfortable or totally confident. The past couple months I've wanted to do something different, something outside my comfort zone, something with a little more risk. This certainly fits that description. I'm stressed and excited in equal parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment