Monday, December 29, 2014

Last Double Sunday

Andy got our team photo printed on this cool wood backing to hang up at iO. Matt took this picture, he was in town from Richmond and sat in with Schwa. Matt and I spent the day together catching up and talking shop which was great, the show unfortunately wasn't so great. I was a little disappointed that Matt didn't get to play a show where things were really clicking. The audience seemed to be a little reserved and we all had relatively low energy, it felt too much like work. Not a bad show but no where near the fluidity and fun we've been having the last two months.
After Schwa was the last Prime. We've been doing the show for almost two years at this point, started off as an idea Craig had, he just wanted to introduce a show as "two Scotts, two Nelsons, and a Uhlir". When it turned out to be really fun we kept doing it. Then both the Scotts got Second City gigs, we played with Brett for a while, had some sit ins, the Scotts came back, then we added Sabine. I always found the most satisfaction in the shows where we told some kind of story usually centered around a group of brothers, friends, co-workers, or some kind of sports team. Sometimes I was tired and our speed of play would lose me, sometimes I didn't like the shows that veered towards the absurd or the disconnected, but always I enjoyed playing with my friends, always I enjoyed the unique challenge of our particular style.

We had a great house and the show was super fun. It feels good to end it on a high note. It's nice to hang it up while were all feeling good, it's the right time. I'll miss the hour or so we talked and caught up before we hit the stage the most. Right now the plan is to get another slot at a better time but who knows. Whatever happens its been a good run.

No comments:

Post a Comment