Thursday, December 25, 2014

Xmas 2014

It was a pretty low key Christmas in the Nelson house hold this year. Last year we hosted three of my college-age cousins and Tisher, this year it was just the nuclear family and the extended family didn't get together. We did have an early dinner with my Aunt Anne, grandma, and cousin Alyssa which was great but the whole clan wasn't in attendance. It was nice and relaxing. No rushing around, little stress, and almost no last minute wrapping.
At this point in my life I can, or try to, savor the holidays and the time spent with family. Everyone's lives are so busy and have so much going on it's good to slow down and appreciate each others company, to lounge around, chat, catch up, and watch movies. I woke up with a bit of a cold yesterday and have been trying to shake off the corresponding grumpiness. I realize I'm getting older because I can't just power through being sick the way I use to.

The past couple years I've had a bit more money in my pocket and more time on my hands so I've tried to be more generous and more deliberate in my gift giving. It's nice to splurge once a year on your loved ones, to try to let them know how much they mean to you by the thoughtfulness of a gift or two. I think this year was relatively successful and my families reactions to certain gifts always gives me ideas for others.

As the years go by it gets harder and harder to make a list or to give my family suggestions of what to get me. I have everything I want, my life as it is feels relatively complete, for the most part I am happy. I love my family deeply, we've been through a lot, small swells to raging storms, and come through intact. And on Christmas we come together and connect, despite small irritants, despite my stupid headcold- blood calls to blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment