Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ren Faire

To celebrate our two year anniversary Nicole and I went to the Renaissance Faire. The last time I went I was in high school. It hasn't changed much, a lot of the same acts, the same layout, but just as fun and seemingly more populated by eccentric characters.
The first show we saw was The Swordsmen Dirk & Guido. It was fun and playful with some good stage combat. Later we saw Moonie The Magnificent one of the acts I really responded to when I had been previously. Nicole and I both loved it. Moonie's juggling abilities may have lessened slightly in the past fifteen years but his stage presence has increased dramatically. An all around entertaining, even uplifting, show.
There was a lot to soak in, most of the day we just walked around looking at all the different things for sale and soaking in the consummate weirdness on display.
As a fantasy fan the Ren Faire is a place I really enjoy and feel comfortable. Lots of people loving and acting out these ideas and activities from a bygone even non-existent age. Of course there's a lot of tourist types there and lots of drinking(something I didn't notice when I was younger) but overall there's a real sense of inclusion. A feeling of acceptance for whatever freak flag you may fly.
It was a great day. A hot one too. By 4pm Nicole and I were both pretty fried. It was a lovely way to celebrate our anniversary- outside, together, eating smoked meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment