Saturday, August 15, 2015

Street Talk 25

I'm riding my bike north on Ashland after running an errand.
At my cross street I see two bikers off their bikes talking to an old woman.
They all have their phones in their hands.
I notice an orange mass of fur on the curb a couple feet from where they are standing.
At first I think its a cat.
At second glance its a dog. A Pomeranian.
Presumably run over. Dead or Dying.
None of the three people look upset or guilty.
I guess the three have simply found the dog.
Are trying to locate its owner.
They look around in confusion. They seemed harried, helpless.

I ride away separating myself from the little tragedy.
My thoughts go out to the dog's owner.
My prayers go out to the dog.
I pray it is not suffering.
I pray its death was quick and painless.
I pray its spirit goes to wherever dog spirits go.
A place it will be walked, fed, pampered, and loved.
Each pump of the bike pedal another prayer.
A small one for the small dog crumpled at the south west corner of Ashland and Sunnyside in Chicago Illinois at 3:18pm on August 15th 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment