Friday, October 16, 2015

Go Cubs

Since the final weeks of September pervasive and intense Cubs fervor has been growing in Chicago. I don't follow sports and don't find them particularly interesting. I'll watch the various playoffs, the super bowl, or regular season games with friends. I know the fundamentals of all the major sports and have a cursory knowledge of big stars and if I'm in a group of people who are engaged I can get engaged. I also enjoy live sporting events. From living in Chicago I stumble into tickets to one team or another once or twice a year. I can enjoy it but I never seek it out.

I use to feel like watching professional sports was a waste of time. Part of me still feels that way. I don't quite see the benefit, don't understand the attraction, can't grasp what warrants the obsession. But after the Cubs won on Wednesday and Nicole cried for twenty minutes out of happiness and relief I got a glimmer of understanding or at least acceptance.

I may not appreciate sports fandom but I do appreciate passion. I can get on board with people emotionally investing in something even if I don't personally value it. Whether its books, movies, knitting, working out, pets, sports, whatever. Excitement and enthusiasm are vital and invigorating. Ultimately I support anyone chasing after their passion whatever it might be, deriving meaning from wherever they'd like. We must define purpose and satisfaction on our own terms.

So, in the spirit of solidarity and support, Go Cubs Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment