Friday, October 2, 2015

The Calvary

Yesterday was an incredibly difficult ride. Nicole and I were on the road for ten hours, eight of which was riding, and we made about seven hours of progress. It was cold, incredibly windy, and due to South Dakota's scarcity of premium gasoline our gas mileage was terrible. We made it to Austin, MN and both Nicole and I were depleted. Looking at the forecast for today it was even colder with heavy winds in the afternoon. In the hotel room thinking about the day ahead I came to a couple conclusions- we wouldn't be able to safely get on the road until 10 or 11 because of the temperature, given the forecast the day would be as difficult if not more so than the day we had just had, and we would most likely get sick. Given all this it appeared the situation was untenable and I needed help.

For a long time it was difficult for me to ask for and receive help. I didn't want to be weak or appear weak, didn't want to be wrong or admit fault, and if I ever did or was there was a certain amount of shame that went along with it. I called my dad last night and asked for help. He drove up and met us close to the Wisconsin boarder and we switched vehicles for the remaining leg of the trip.

Over the past couple years I've been better about recognizing my own limitations, honestly assessing situations, and asking for help if I need it. Most of the time now I don't get ashamed or embarrassed about it, it is just a part of life. No one is so capable, confident, and independent that they don't need other people to lean on from time to time. In this situation, with the gift of hindsight, I realized and fully admit that I was underprepared and myopic in my single-minded desire to take the motorcycle(instead of a car) regardless of the imminent change in seasons. And that's ok. We all make mistakes. I'm grateful I had someone to call.

My dad has gotten me out of a lot of trouble over the years, significantly less so since I got sober. The trouble I get in now is usually due to laziness or poor planning, more clerical than legal, but still it happens occasionally. It's nice to know I have someone I can count on, someone to talk through problems with, someone whose always in my corner. Thanks Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment