Saturday, December 3, 2011

Breaking

When you laugh during a performance as your self not as the character it's called 'breaking'. I broke super hard in the last iO Salute Jive show.

I accidentally said George Hamilton(the actor) when I meant to say Alexander Hamilton(the guy on the $10 bill). There are two types of breaking- good and bad.

Good Breaking- When your scene partner surprises you so much that you can't help but laugh. The joy of the moment overcomes you so much you have to laugh. You make a mistake so blatant that you laugh at yourself.

Bad Breaking- When you get embarrassed or confused so you laugh. You laugh at yourself. You constantly laugh at your scene partner. You break so much that(or at a time when) it derails the scene or show.

There are a couple different schools of thought when it comes to breaking. Some coaches totally forbid it and harp on it when giving notes. Others never mention it no matter how distracting it is. For the most part I don't have a problem with it, especially when it's a genuine moment. I always get a real kick when my friends perform and they break.

For the most part, they're all good breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment