Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Street Talk 4

(outside of work)

Me:(smoking)
Guy: Hey! Merry Christmas! Spare a cigarette for the holidays?
Me:(nods, produces cigarette and lighter)
Guy: This neighborhood has changed man. You work here?
Me: Yeah.
Guy: Use to be the old Montgomery Ward Building. And up the street, you know that church?
Me: Yeah.
Guy: Use to be a chop shop. Middle of the the night tow trucks would go out, bring back some cars, and when they came out you wouldn't recognize 'em. I told my kids. That church. Turned 45 last week. I'm old. I feel old, down in my bones.
Me: 45 isn't old.
Guy: Maybe. I grew up around here Cabrini Green. The projects. For Christmas one person would get a toy he'd share it with everyone. There was a sense of community. But...my parents got killed in '68, the riots. Raised by my grandmother. There were some things missing. If I grew up in a country club things might be different.
Me: Maybe, maybe not. You never know.
Guy: The more things change...
Me: ...the more they stay the same. Take it easy.
(exits)
Guy: Merry Christmas big man!

No comments:

Post a Comment