Thursday, December 22, 2011

'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' A Review

(This poster is ridiculous)

I've read the Steig Larrson trilogy as well as watched the original Swedish films. As with any adaptations previous encounters with the story shape how you view the film. The original novel is sweeping and interesting and attacks some pretty dangerous themes. It also address misogyny more directly than most American fiction.

The Swedish film was a pared down version of the novel and the American adaptation is even more so. The most compelling thing about the story is Lisbeth Salander the title character. Damaged, intelligent, independent, and violent. This film lacks a clear picture of Lisbeth and we only get a short glimpse of the gradual friendship developing between Blomquist and Lisbeth.

When I left the theater I overheard many people saying things like "that was weird" or "I don't get it." I don't know if I liked the movie. At this point I know the story so well I don't notice omissions and automatically fill in the gaps. I imagine this American version wouldn't make a lot of sense to the average viewer. I imagine it would be confusing because the theme of violence against women was there but jumbled and rearranged and slightly dimmer than in the novel. Danial Craig was too confident as Blomquist, Rooney Mara too distant as Lisbeth.

In the original Swedish the title of the book is "Men Who Hate Women" which I think makes a much stronger statement and attempts to make a much more emphatic point than the Americanized American version ever attempts.

Did I like this movie? Would you?

I Don't Know.

No comments:

Post a Comment