Friday, June 27, 2014

Graffiti 132

stop praying...God's too busy

I've been encountering this idea of a distant and neglectful God a lot recently. Craig just gave me the comic book series Preacher, which I loved, and I've been an avid fan of the Sandman Slim series since Matt gave me the first book two years back.

I don't believe in a Christian God. My concept of a higher power is much more personal. I get the inevitable backlash against some omnipotent and omniscient male figure pulling strings for millennia especially since the idea has been made impersonal through franchising. What I never understood was the idea of needing a  priest or pastor as a conduit of contact for that universal presence. Why does this person have a closer relationship to God, whatever the conception, than I do? The way I see it they don't. Pastors or priests may be better suited to listen, be supportive, guide, and provide advise but they don't have the ear of the divine anymore than anyone else.

I think the important thing is to, spiritually speaking, cut your own path. Free from dogma, obligation, and tired ceremony. Engage in something personal and fruitful. Either with an established religion or some form of original worship. Faith is freeing, simple loyalty can be static

"God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be. Follow always that great law. Let the sky and God be our limit and Eternity our measurement." -Marcus Garvey

No comments:

Post a Comment