Sunday, June 15, 2014

Growth

A couple weeks back Marta was visiting and dropped off some plants for me. There's something really fulfilling and comforting about having a couple green things around. I don't think I'd ever want a pet, too much time, too much attention, but having something to care for is fulfilling. The nurturing is reciprocal.

For me dogs are too simple and needy, cats too aloof and entitled, plants however, they have the perfect amount of independence and exhibit tangible growth or neglect.

Dogs and cats can be cute and lovable, I don't refute that. But there is something particularly beautiful about a veined leaf, shades of green in dappled sunlight, the curve of a blooming petal, that surpass the grinning face of a golden retriever or the bent back of a tabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment