Friday, June 13, 2014

Soundtracks

On Monday Drennen, James, and I watched Death Proof. There's a lap dance scene with this song underscoring it. I don't remember the lap dance scene being in the original release of Grindhouse back in '07 and I don't really remember the song from the other times I've seen it since. For whatever reason this time around it really struck me and I've been listening to it non-stop all week.

Down In Mexico by The Coasters on Grooveshark

Nicole and I just saw Obvious Child, review forthcoming, and there was a really great scene with this song under it. I first heard this when Chloe put it on a tape for me years ago. I always liked it.

Single Girl, Married Girl by The Carter Family on Grooveshark

Songs can elevate films. Heighten moments. That's no secret but whats rare are those times when a film makes you appreciate a song you previously didn't like or didn't notice. The conjunction of the film and the song make both of them resonate in a way they, separately, do not. I think its a rare thing. A lot of the time it seems music is just used as filler or to make a boring scene seem interesting.

The first moment where I felt like a song and a scene really hit me was in Rushmore. Bill Murray drunk and sad at his sons birthday party accompanied by The Kinks.

Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worryin' Bout That Girl by The Kinks on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment