Friday, June 6, 2014

Refresh, Reset

Tonight Meaghan and I were the only ones able to make The Night Shift show at The Playground. Last weekend I felt pretty funky with the shows I did. Off, uninspired, lost. So I was eager to get back onstage tonight and either shake it off or really commit myself to a prolonged rut. I love The Night Shift and playing with them at The Playground because I truly feel unencumbered. I truly do not care who is there or if they laugh. A common thing coaches or teachers say is "just play for each other" which is a good adage but its extremely difficult. You can curb your inner sensor and your desire to please an audience but its almost impossible to remove completely.

Meaghan and I had a great show. Or at least we both thought it was great which is the important thing. We had never done a two person show with each other and I think there was a bit of nerves going in on both our parts. It was grounded and playful, we played close to ourselves and really gave ourselves over to the inspiration of the moment. We were surprising each other and, I think, creating something authentic. It almost felt like we were the only ones there, just living these lives we had slipped on for a bit. It was incredibly refreshing and affirming for me coming off a week where I felt stale.

The content of the show was not uncommon. Meaghan and I were an unhappy couple, we did a scene in our apartment hashing out grievances for about half the show and then cut to the couples first date for the second half. But it was the specifics and the chemistry that really gave it life. Subtleties in speech and action that felt like this couple we created was a real couple. After it I felt inspired to try to sit down and sketch it out, script it, turn it into a one act or full play.

The show rejuvenated me and I have Meaghan to thank for it. She's a great collaborator. Energetic, joyful, and just straight up game to go wherever. It was a good reminder of the mindset I need to and want to be in to get maximum satisfaction from a show. Not only for myself but for whoever may be watching. When I feel engaged, surprised, and affected most likely the audience will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment