Sunday, June 28, 2015

31

Yesterday was my birthday, I turned 31. It was one of the best birthdays I've ever had. Nothing exciting or surprising just fun, relaxing, and good. I got to do everything I wanted to do with the woman that I love.
I made breakfast then we went to walk around Magic Hedge the small nature reserve by the lake. It's probably the only place in the city proper with enough trees next to each other to feel, even for a moment, like you're in the woods. One of the only things lacking in Chicago is parks, there is almost no natural space you can go where you aren't able to see the city, so it was nice to walk around that little wooded patch for a bit.
After soaking up some sun by the lake we took a motorcycle ride up and down Lake Shore.
We stopped off at Unabridged where I got Jo Walton's latest book. Then went for dinner at Las Tablas.
After dinner we went to the movies, then Pick Me Up for some chocolate cake, then headed home where we watched Lost, Nicole has never seen it.
A movie, a good meal, some nature, a slice of bday cake and all with Nicole. It was an incredible low key day. Exactly what I wanted and kind of encapsulates what my life is like right now, what my priorities are.

I don't know what the next year will bring but I'm looking forward to it. There are some big questions hanging in the air- employment, grad school- but I know things will work out one way or another. Over the past year I've been able to settle down a bit, get a little more disciplined and proactive about getting things done while still enjoying the present and staying in it. This year will have some challenges and opportunities and I think I'm ready to handle them. I feel like my life and all the people in it couldn't be more supportive and inspiring, I have a bit of that cliched "anything is possible" feeling. I eagerly anticipate what will happen next and where my path may wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment