Saturday, June 13, 2015

Motorcycle Mission

Today I spent a good portion of the day getting back to Rockford to pick up my motorcycle. A bus to a train to another bus, quick sandwich in my childhood home, then on the bike back to Chicago beating the rain by seconds. All in all about a six hour trip.

Typically I kind of dread it because making the trip is a day killer. But that feeling vanishes whenever I actually get on the bike after months without it. Its like a clean shave or putting on a great pair of jeans. I feel sharper, more myself, more aware.

Riding back I tried to let my mind wonder, roll over some things that have been stressing me out, make plans. I wasn't able too. I forgot that when you're riding you are completely in the moment. The phrase "in the moment" is kind of a cliche but when you're riding you can't mull over the past or plan for the future. It's very practical and immediate. It's simple. You can't divert your attention from what you're doing, it's too dangerous. The clutch, the gas, the other travelers. They all require consideration. Not a ton but enough that it precludes any deep thinking. You are simply there.

It was a meditative therapeutic ride. Washed away the tensions of the week. By not ruminating on anything it put things in perspective, provided some balance. Reaffirmed my love for the two wheeled machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment