Monday, November 19, 2012

Bowling Again

Punam's birthday was today and it was wonderful. The highlight for me was going bowling. Sarah, Punam, and I went to the Diversey Bowl and played two games. I haven't been bowling in a while but everything came back pretty quick. And a lot of memories too.

When I was really young my dad would take me bowling. He was in a battle of the sexes with a woman from his office and he would go to practice most weekends. He would bring me along. I would usually play one game maybe two. He would give me some pointers but I didn't really have much interest at the time. What I did have interest in was the arcade.

After my attention wandered my dad would give me some quarters to go play in the arcade. My favorite game there was Street Fighter II. I got progressively better at it the more we went. At the time I don't remember being really good at anything. I didn't excel at anything at that time, I think I was 7 or 8.

One day a couple of tough older kids came up to me while I was playing Street Fighter II. They wanted to play. They challenged me to a game with the winner "controlling" the consoul. I had never played anyone else just the computer and I think at the time we didn't have Nintendo or anything at my house yet. I was nervous but I said ok, I just wanted to keep playing.

I trounced him. I trounced his buddy. They got more of their friends and I beat all of them too. Instead of being mad at me they were in awe of how good I was and cheered me on. It was the first time I ever felt exceptional at anything.

Whenever I go into a bowling alley I think of that moment and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment