Saturday, November 24, 2012

Graffiti 80: Philadelphia

Evidently Philadelphia is very anti-graffiti. There weren't a lot of tags or stickers up. There were a lot of murals done by the Philadelphia Mural Arts Program. Back in the 80's the city hired an artist who in turn reached out to graffiti artist to collaborate and make murals in stead of graffiti. The idea I like but the product for the most part seemed variations on the same kind of design over and over again. The murals broke up the landscape, which I appreciated, but were all very similar(at least the ten or so that I saw). People painted in similar ways over and over. I wish the artists would have gotten a little more freedom. It seemed that because of the cities involvement they were only allowed to paint within certain perameters and restricitons. The above is not a mural but a large poster glued to the side of a building.
This is a band which I have never heard of but I think its kind of funny.
Demon-monkey?
Mickey Mouse flipping the bird.
I don't really know what to make of this but my money is on the bear.
"Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life- think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just let every other idea alone. This is the way of success." -Swami Vivekananda
Always be prepared.

"A wind has blown the rain away and blown the sky away and all the leaves away, and the trees stand. I think, I too, have known autumn too long." -e.e. cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment