Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Street Talk 9

I was getting on the train today and my CTA card must have gotten demagnetized. It showed me an error message on the turn style "see attendant". The attendant was very harried and seemed annoyed.

Woman: (thick accent) It no work! It no work!
CTA Attendant: OK, try this one here.
Woman: I had 5 dollars! I had 5 dollars.
CTAA: (irritated) You still have 5 dollars just go through.
Woman: But I already, I already, I already...I payed two twenty five already! It charge me!
CTAA: (louder, more irritated) It's charging you 25 cents! (woman boards) Jeez...(to me) Yeah?
Me: My card won't work. I have $8.10 on it.
CTAA: (rolls eyes) Try this one here. (I try it, it gives same error) Hold on, I'll get you a new card(sighs)
Couple: Excuse me?
CTAA: Yeah?
Couple: We're trying to get to 322 N. Jefferson...?
CTAA: (sighs, shuts eyes, pause, opens eyes) Go up the stairs here walk north to the elevated train stop then get on the green line and your stop is Clinton. Get off at Clinton. Then head west to Jefferson then take a right.
Couple: Thank you so much.
CTAA: Yeah. (to me, sighs) OK, you got your ID? This gonna take a minute.
Me: (smiles) Here ya go.
Snooty Woman: Excuse me?
CTAA: (frowns) Ahhhhh Yeah?
Snooty Woman: I'm looking for (unintelligible). You know by the Marriott.
CTAA: (rolls eyes) Yeah I know it. Go up to Grand and head east.
Snooty Woman: ...Grand...um...Grand.
CTAA: (disgusted sound, pause) So I got you a new card-
Cute Little Boy: (runs up, jumps to the window) Boo!
CTAA: (face lights up with the most amazing warm smile) Oh, hello! How are you today?
Cute Little Boy: Trains! (ducks below window, jumps up) Boo! (runs off to his mom)
CTAA: (chuckles) Ok here's your replacement card and I'll give you a free ride for the inconvenience. Sorry about the wait.
Me: Thanks. No problem at all. (smiles big) Have a great day!
CTAA: (returns smile, big and honest) You too.

1 comment: