Saturday, December 1, 2012

Callouts

I pulled lights for a couple shows last night. One of the sets started off with a guy, after getting the suggestion, pulling out an electric razor from his pocket and shaving off his mustache. It was clear no one knew this was going to happen, he hadn't clued anyone in, he was trying to mix things up. I don't think it was the best idea, I'm not a fan of gimmicks or props, but I appreciate the attempt at trying something a little daring to boost some energy.

One of the fellow players took great offence and immediately berated the player for what he was doing.

Player 1: Scuba Diving. Thank you. (takes out electric razor, starts to shave mustache)
Player 2:You're gonna clean that up you know! This is a public space where people have to be! Have some respect!
Player 1: This is my bathroom.
Player 2: This is a stage! This is not your space!

He took the audience out of the scene that was trying to be established, made everyone uncomfortable, and criticized the player as himself for what he was doing in real life. Throughout the rest of the piece he kept this going with things like "I hate stunts! That shit is bullshit!" and "I'm not condescending to you man you just can't do shit like that!" I understand getting slightly upset but it was a mess easily cleaned. The audience is there to see a show and regardless of if you get mad about whatever you still need to perform not engage in a weird exhibitionist argument.

Callout is an improv term for when one player calls out another players reality. Acknowledges them as the person they are or that they are not actually doing what they are acting like they are doing. Someone mimes chopping wood "Why are you waving your arms around?" For the most part there are no good callouts. They may get laughs but they generally undercut anything being done onstage.

This particular callout was especially egregious because we're seeing genuine negative emotion between real people on stage. I don't want to see this, in fact I go to see live entertainment to avoid this.

Unchecked, unjustified rage isn't something I want to see. In real life or in improv.

No comments:

Post a Comment