Thursday, December 20, 2012

Graffiti 83

I saw this in Bucktown when I was Christmas shopping. It reminds me how much of a modern construction time is. Years ago the sun was the big dictator, it was night and day not something o'clock. Our world moves fast now but I think we let it. In some ways we're the only ones who give power to time. It's our perception of it. Being late, setting alarms, setting reminders, making appointments, being on time. We set so much importance on the ticking of the clock a lot is lost.

There are moments when we feel time slow down or speed up. Wonderful moments that seem like hours. When hours pass like minutes when we are wrapped up in something extraordinary. Moments of danger when it takes an eternity for seconds to pass. Those are the moments we should remember. We govern time, it does not govern us.

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -Henry David Thoreau

"The clock talked loud. I threw it away, it scared me what it talked." -Tillie Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment