Thursday, February 21, 2013

Open Letter To Those I Hate

To all my enemies that add flavor to my life,

Thank you for inspiring me. For helping me clarify, solidify, and harden what I believe. For the passion you stir up in me. The diatribes you provoke and the action you incite. For being someone to stand up to, to oppose, to vilify. Thank you for reminding me that not everyone thinks like me. For goading me to engage. Thank you for being mean or crass or inconsiderate. For talking when you shouldn't. For your naked fervor which mirrors mine.

I love to hate you. In fact, I think, I simply love you and your contradictory nature. Your brash and bluster. Your utter certainty that you are right. You provide the world with a wonderful depth and variety.

I will argue with you. Fight against you. Tear you down. I believe in justice and I want it done. But please know that I respect you.

I love the struggle you and I are in. I thank you for it.

Love,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment