Saturday, February 2, 2013

Recognition

I was recognized twice this week. At the train station a girl came up to me and said "you're a really good improviser" then walked away. On the bus I could hear a guy behind me telling his girlfriend "that's the guy from the other night..." It's very flattering and gratifying in a weird way but its also kind of discomforting.

It only started to happen with some frequency in the past year. At iO it's not uncommon to have people come up and want to talk after shows, tell you good show, ask for info or advise about the theater. Most of the time I don't mind that, in fact I quite enjoy it. I simply say thanks for coming, maybe introduce myself, and answer any questions they have. Almost always the conversation comes to a very awkward pause. At that point I make my excuses and walk away. It's much more difficult if I get recognized outside the building.

Sometimes people don't know where they know me from. Sometimes I'm on the CTA and there's really no where to go so I end up getting to that awkward pause but still have another ten minute commute ahead. Most of the time I just don't know what to say, I don't know what the other person wants, the conversation is a struggle. Don't get me wrong I love when people come to my shows, I love when people come and enjoy them even more, it's just one of those weird things. And I don't mean to imply I get recognized so much it's a hassle, it only happens a couple times a month, but whenever it does more often than not it's kind of weird. It also gives me an odd boost, a weird affirmation of my talent.

It got me thinking about celebrity. Now I figure I'm on the lowest possible end of recognition. Imagining what it would be like being recognized all the time- everywhere you went, being stared at, interrupted while shopping or going to the movies- is terrifying and maddening.

I love performing almost more than anything. There's no cost yet or a few odd interactions is a negligible cost. As the audiences I reach grow, and I'd like to play to bigger and bigger audiences, I imagine the price to rise as well. But thinking about it I know there's no price I wouldn't pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment