Sunday, March 8, 2015

An Early Spring 2

The cold has lifted from the windy city. A tentative thaw, bringing those secrets hidden by snow to light. Change sweeps through the city, still dull and lethargic, unbelieving of such premature warmth. What gracious luck!

People crowd the streets. Pent-up and wild-eyed. The caged energies of winter spilling out onto sidewalks and into dusty beer gardens. Manic bodies, flaying limbs, and loud brash honking mouths. Impulses lumbering out of hibernation. What freedom there is in spring, unshackled from the freeze!

I enjoy the sun but fear the sudden shift. Finding anxiety tangled with my pleasure. Unaccustomed to the speed of spring I am bewildered by all the color and activity.

After the comfortable isolation of the winter months the rapid spring acceleration has caught me flat-footed and sent me reeling. I find myself nostalgic for the huddled disconnection of the cold. What glories await in the capricious spring? What dangers? What elusive mysteries? Who can say!

The future stretches out long and uncertain. Slumbering creatures stir to wakefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment