Monday, March 23, 2015

Quenchers

Last June Brunlieb asked me to do a reading at the show his team Sand hosts- Spitballin' at Quenchers Saloon. He said it could be anything- a scene from a play, a short story, poetry, whatever. I rarely get asked to do things so I'm always very flattered and excited when it happens. That first time Chloe and I read the first scene from Whose Afraid Of Virginia Wolfe? and it seemed to be received well.

I've been going once a month since to read poems and short essays that I've written. I found the environment and the show really inspiring, it made me realize my writing could have a place on stage, could be performed. Previous to Quenchers I hadn't even thought of reading any of my stuff in front of people. For the most part the audience response has been good, I get some valuable feedback on what people respond to and what they don't, what jokes hit and what don't, how I can shape a piece to be more effective. It's very fulfilling to present my writing to a crowd that, though not always warm, is always open. The show has motivated me to write more, to take risks, to go dark and be vulnerable, has given me ideas that without it I wouldn't have had. Because of the satisfaction I've gotten from doing readings at Quenchers I've done a couple readings else where, something I previously wouldn't have had the courage to do.

Monday night at Quenchers is an experimental and fertile creative space. Sure, sometimes there's mediocre improv or someone practicing their SNL tight five, but mostly it's interesting performers trying new and different things. All thanks to the bad boys of Sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment