Sunday, March 1, 2015

More Goodbyes

This weekend Chicago lost two more to sunny LA- Tyler and Felske. Two people I'd only really gotten to know well in the last year or so, two people I was consistently inspired by. It's a big loss for the community, two incredibly talented people each with drive and discipline that manifested in a substantial creative output. I'll miss watching them perform, their specific curated projects especially. I'll miss Tyler's open southern charm and his pointed perspective on the work. I'll miss Felske's dry wit, her enthusiasm, and sitting next to her during shows both of us reveling in it when it was good and rolling our eyes at each other when it was bad.
But the greater loss for me is losing two driven writers. Two people who unabashedly identify first and foremost as writers, two people that backed up that assertion with actual output. There are a lot of people in the improv community that talk about writing, that have ideas for plays or stories, that want to write, but few who actually do it and do it consistently. As such there are not many people that can really talk about writing, what it takes to bring an ephemeral thought to the concrete page, the frustration and satisfaction that comes from doing that type of solitary creative work. In this respect I'll miss two people I could relate to in a very unique way.

Good-luck and good-bye to two performers I love watching and two writers I respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment